Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Grillin' with Tay: Garlic Scapes*

I grew up on a farm in east central Minnesota. You might think about a farm having cows or pigs, but get that idea out of your head. This farm is a strawberry farm and my dad also grows beans and rye. There are no animals, besides the deer, raccoons, turkeys and bear that wander around the property.


Why is this important? Well, I found out about scapes because my parents sold strawberries at a farmer's market in downtown Minneapolis this year. The stand next to them sold these really strange looking things. They look like a small green snake with a white head, which is what my two-year-old likes to call them. But, in reality, they are garlic scapes, which come from the tops of garlic. They taste magnificent.


People have been known to put scapes in eggs or even butter, but another great way to eat them is from the grill. I LOVE anything on the grill. Even if you threw some nasty tofu on a charcoal or gas flame, I would probably eat it happily because it is grilled. I am pretty good with a spatula and tongs when it comes to brats, burgers or chicken, but as far as grilling vegetables, I am an amateur. However, be it luck or hidden talent, these scapes came out pretty tasty. They were a great compliment to our 4th of July dinner and added a bright pop of green to the array of delectable dishes. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!


"For I know the plans God has for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
- Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

*About Taylor: Taylor is Hannah's husband. He is a 7th grade language arts teacher. When he isn't teaching, he enjoys playing with his two daughters, fishing, reading, playing basketball and going on adventures with Hannah! He is an AVID Minnesota sports fan.

GRILLED GARLIC SCAPES
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 3-4 mins
Yield: 4-6 ppl
Ingredients
Cooking Directions
  1. Cut off bottom ends of scapes
  2. Place scapes in gallon zip lock bag
  3. Mix ingredients into bag and shake until scapes are coated with seasoning and oil
  4. Grill 3-4 minutes (try to flip them halfway through)
  5. Serve as a side with grilled meat and potatoes!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment