Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Raspberry Coffee Cake

I have to admit I am a little sad summer is coming to a close. Okay, I know summer vacation has been over for a few weeks (and autumn starts tomorrow), but I'm holding onto these last warm summer days. My family had an amazing and busy summer. We went to Colorado and Door County, moved out of our apartment and bought a house! All while keeping up with our two rambunctious toddlers.


Even though I am going to miss summer, I love fall. Football games, the crisp cool air, apple orchard, bonfires, all of it. I love the anticipation of the holidays and am really getting excited to start making holiday-themed recipes!

Another good thing about autumn? Fall raspberries. My parents moved to Minnesota about a year ago and their new garden is full of raspberries in the fall. I enjoy eating them plain, but who doesn't like to throw together a nice yummy coffee cake?

This coffee cake is the perfect treat for a play date or dessert. The tartness of the raspberries is balanced by the sweet mini-chocolate chips. If you can get ahold of fresh raspberries they really add to the flavor. And of course, this recipes goes well with a warm cup of coffee!



"Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
- Colossians 3:12 (NIV)



RASPBERRY COFFEE CAKE

Prep time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 40 mins.
Ingredients
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
  • 3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 2 tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup confectionary sugar
  • 1 tsp. milk
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine raspberries and brown sugar and set aside.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, mini chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  3. Mix together yogurt, melted butter, egg and vanilla flavoring.
  4. Stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients.
  5. Prepare a 8 inch round cake pan with butter or shortening (I used a square pan, but a round one will work better).
  6. Spread 2/3 of the batter into the cake pan.
  7. Spoon the raspberry mixture over the batter and then spread the rest of the batter over the raspberries.
  8. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until knife inserted into batter comes out clean.
  9. Make a glaze with 1/3 cup confectionary sugar, 1 tsp. of milk and 1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring.
  10. Drizzle over cooled coffee cake.
  11. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment