Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Chocolate Cinnamon Banana Bread

Growing up my nickname was Hannah Banana. My dad called me that, many of my coaches used that nickname and many of my friends. Of course, with a nickname like Hannah Banana I had to like bananas. And I do!


Banana's are an amazing fruit. They have tons of potassium and all that really good stuff (obviously I'm super knowledgeable about nutrition). Beside being amazing on their own, I really like things that have banana in them. I love banana smoothies, banana chips, banana splits and banana pudding. But most of all I love banana bread.


There are so many types of banana bread. You have classic banana bread, banana nut bread and, of course, chocolate chip banana bread. The list goes on and on and the recipes for these breads can fill a book. I wanted to try something new.


So, I looked at various recipes for classic banana bread (which I have made and loved), and stumbled upon a yummy chocolate banana bread recipe. I had to modify many of the ingredients based on my baking supplies, and the bread I made actually turned out really yummy. I had four-taste testers and they all approved, so I'm hoping you enjoy it too.

Note: You can add chocolate chips or nuts for texture.


"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." 
- John 6:35 (NIV)


CHOCOLATE CINNAMON BANANA BREAD

Ingredients
  • 3 large very ripe bananas
  • 1 tsp. butter for baking pan
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 large beaten egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp. powdered sugar (for sprinkling on top)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and prepare to use the center rack
  2. Use teaspoon of butter to prep a 5x9 loaf pan 
  3. Using a blender or fork puree bananas until smooth
  4. Add melted 1/3 cup of butter to banana puree
  5. In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and salt into the banana puree
  6. Then add egg and vanilla extract to mixture
  7. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and cinnamon
  8. Add the dry mixture to the banana mixture in the large bowl
  9. Gently stir them together until everything is mixed together (do not over mix!)
  10. Bake for 1 hour
  11. To ensure the bread is done, place a knife or toothpick in the bread and make sure it comes out clean
  12. Flip the pan over when the bread has cooled slightly (the bread should come out in one piece)
  13. Place on plate and dust with powdered sugar
  14. Serve with butter

No comments:

Post a Comment