Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Awesome Chicken Enchiladas

For this post I want to share a REALLY good recipe. And let me tell you, this chicken enchilada recipe is a winner! I have served this at least three times to company and every time I get continual compliments throughout the meal. It is also a fabulous recipe to take to friends who need a meal. Full disclosure, this recipe is not my own. I wish I could take credit for this amazing dish, but it comes from my mother's kitchen and when I make it, I feel like I am eating at home.

When I decided to move six and a half hours away from home for college, I knew I would miss home-cooked meals. Every time I came home to visit I would always request my mom's chicken enchilada recipe. There are many different ways to make enchiladas, but this is my favorite.


This recipe and kids: Often when I am cooking I let my two-year-old daughter help. She loves sitting on the stool to watch, help stir or even taste the food. For this recipe, I let my daughter help shred the cooked chicken, stir the enchilada mixture and spread cheese on the top of the dish. Letting kids help in the kitchen is fun and allows them to learn more about food. She especially loved this dish since she helped me cook. I didn't forget the littlest member of our family; I set aside plain chicken for her to enjoy with us.

Begin by baking or boiling the chicken until completely cooked. If you choose to boil the chicken, place it in a pot and fill it with water until the chicken is covered. Bring to a boil and for extra tender chicken, let it simmer for up to 40 minutes. When it is cool, shred chicken into small pieces.

Next, finely chop the pepper and onion. Place them in a skillet with oil and saute them until they are soft. If you don't saute them long enough they will be too crunchy in the enchiladas.


In a medium sized mixing bowl, pour about half of the large can of enchilada sauce and set aside. In a small mixing bowl combine the shredded chicken, onion, pepper, cheese (about 2/3 cup) and enchilada sauce (about 1/2 cup). Stir these ingredients together.


Now, take a 9x13 pan (I use a glass one, and spay it with Pam) and pour in enough enchilada sauce to just cover the bottom. To assemble the enchiladas, take the tortilla and dip it into the enchilada sauce in the medium-sized bowl making sure to get it completely covered. Be warned, this process is extremely messy. Take the soaked tortilla and put about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture into the center, roll it up and place it at one end of the pan with the seam down. Repeat this process until all the tortillas and chicken mixture is used up and the pan is full.

Cover the enchiladas with enchilada sauce. You want enough to keep them moist, but not so much that they are swimming in sauce. Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese.


If you are planning to take this to a friend, cover it and put them in the fridge to take to them later. Give them the cooking instructions so they will be able to eat the dish when it is hot.

Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Make sure you test the middle to make sure it is hot, the center takes the longest to heat. I serve this with sour cream, tomatoes, cheese and shredded lettuce. I also like to make spanish rice for a side item.


"All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all." Acts 4:32-33 (NIV)


AWESOME CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4-6 people

Ingredients
  • 2 boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 large and 1 small can of mild enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups Mexican shredded cheese
  • 10 flour tortillas
  • Optional sour cream
  • Optional shredded lettuce
  • Optional tomatoes
Cooking Directions
  1. Begin by baking or boiling the chicken so it is completely cooked. If you choose to boil the chicken, place in a pot and fill with water until the chicken is covered. Bring to a boil and then for extra tender chicken, let it simmer for up to 40 minutes, or until cooked. When it is cool, shred chicken into small pieces.
  2. Finely chop the pepper and onion. Please then in a skillet with oil and saute them until they are soft.
  3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, pour about half of the large can of enchilada sauce and set aside.
  4. In a small mixing bowl combine shredded chicken, onion, pepper, cheese (about 2/3 cup) and enchilada sauce (about 1/2 cup). Stir these ingredients together.
  5. Pour enough enchilada sauce to just cover the bottom.
  6. To assemble the enchiladas, take the tortilla and dip it into the medium-sized mixing bowl with enchilada sauce making sure to get it completely covered.
  7. Take the soaked tortilla and put about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the mixture into the center, roll it up and place at one end of the pan with the seam down. Repeat this process until all the tortillas and chicken mixture is used up and the pan is full (you can add an addition pan if needed).
  8. Cover the enchiladas with enchilada sauce (enough to keep them moist, but not so much that they are swimming in sauce), and sprinkle on the remaining shredded cheese.
  9. Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes. Make sure to test the middle to make sure it is hot, the center takes the longest to heat.
  10. I serve this with sour cream, tomatoes, cheese and shredded lettuce.

No comments:

Post a Comment